Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Resolution Realized

I did it.

After years of thinking about, wanting to, and planning to, I took action.

I joined a gym.

And not only did I join the gym, I am loving the gym.

As a motivational teacher and coach, I love helping others create change in their world. I'm a fabulous guide, cheerleader, support person. And yet this one little area of my life kept being neglected: exercising my own body.

I could rationalize that I wasn't in too bad a shape: I walk regularly. I eat well most of the time. But I could feel my body wanting to move, to stretch, to exercise regularly.

So I found the perfect motivation.

I made a bet with my sister.

My sister, Christy, and I are only fifteen months apart. We spent our childhood competing against each other in equestrian events. That deep-seated sister-rivalry was the perfect kick in the pants to get me to the gym.

Around New Year's Eve I asked Christy if she wanted to play a game with me.

She agreed, and we started creating the game: To see who could join a gym faster. Or who could work out the most times a week.

Then our mom, who knows us both well and is wise in her ways, said, Nope, the game is to see who sustains going to the gym over time.

Note that she was the only one in the family who goes to the gym regularly, and also rides horses twice a week. So she got to make up the main rule of the game.

I joined a gym first, but Christy, who lives outside of Atlanta, is not far behind.

What I didn't expect about this friendly contest was how much I would love it.

I joined with my friend, T, who knows all about the various machines animals that populate a gym.  She showed me the care and feeding of each different machine so I could use them properly.

Being on the elliptical is like flying (an elliptical is a cross between a treadmill and a stair master.) I like seeing how my strength grows. Lifting weights and running have motivated me to do yoga, too.

And I love that the machines in the gym I joined are purple.


Yesterday I worked out by myself for the first time, and that was a milestone. It is exciting to go someplace and feel the motivation and commitment of others, and to feel my own inner athlete emerging, ready to run longer, lift more, and stretch farther.

Thanks to T and Christy and mom for your most perfect butt-kicking support!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather - Have you discovered Zumba yet at the gym? It's an incredible and fun latin dance workout. It will kick your butt and you will be hooked. My sister got me into it this year. I love it! Have fun!
    -Crystal Wendekier
    former Events Coordinator of East West Bookshop in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete

Followers