Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Slowing Down to Get More Done

I had the funny experience yesterday of being stressed out about getting in a proposal to an agent about my Sacred Time Management book.

Hmm, maybe it is time for me to re-read my own book.

Eventually, I did take my own advice; I got up from my computer and went to meditate.

Today I'm taking my own advice again. I'm going to spend most of the day in the garden.
And while I weed and plant I'm going to celebrate my the successes from the past week.

You see, last week was an incredibly full week for me. Then I taught Friday night, all day Saturday, and most of Sunday. Usually I would take some time on Monday to regroup. But I HAVE THINGS TO DO! Yelled an inner voice. And so I woke up and went directly to the computer, and throughout the day that little voice got more and more frantic.

And that is no way to work!

What I've learned from writing and working with the principles in Sacred Time Management is that when we are in stress, overwhelmed, overloaded, and generally frazzled, it is almost impossible to get anything done in a good way. The remedy is NOT to keep going. Ignore the voice of the critic, which would probably have us all working twenty hour days with no breaks for food or to pee. All the critic can see is what is not done, where you are lacking, and all the disasters that are to come because of unfinished business. This critical time manager is compelling, but it is also WRONG!

The remedy is to slow down and create more space. Yesterday a four minute tea break gave me enough breathing room that I went back to my work inspired and excited. When I hit a bump and I started to constrict again, I stopped and worked on another project.

Then I made sure I got a good night's sleep.

This morning I feel more clear-headed; the critic is no longer driving my bus of perception. I am loving the sunlight coming through the oak tree branches outside, and the soft glow of spring green on the ground. Things don't feel like life or death, success or failure. I feel grateful for the growth of the Toltec Center, the emails in my inbox, and my capacity to explain how Sacred Time Management differs from similar books. I feel empowered rather than smushed.

And I feel the critic waiting in the wings for an opening to grab back the reins and list all the things that are not complete. And so I will consciously connect to my heart, to my faith, to spirit as I nourish my garden and myself today. I'll list all the amazing accomplishments from last week, and link those to flow and ease of the coming week. I'll stop looking at what is wrong or what I have to do in the future, and focus on the beauty of spacious unfolding.There is plenty of time when we connect to the sacred.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! And how I can relate, having worked in publishing business, as an editor and writer my whole life. Taking this "sacred time" is the most important thing I've learned from my work, whether I'm pushing a product into production, editing or proofreading a piece on a heavy deadline, or preparing a project of my own for print. So thank you Dear One for reminding me yet again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers