Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Dissolving a Marriage


Part 1

The first line in my book, The Toltec Path of Transformation, asks the question, "Have you ever had your life turned upside down in an instant?"

When I wrote that line it was a theory in my own life. But the week my book came out my life was turned upside down in a spectacular way; not in an instant, but in a series of instants that accumulated in a tearing of the fabric of my world.

Damn, I'm glad I wrote a book about change, because I have certainly needed it!

In the beginning of October I waved goodbye to my husband, best friend, beloved, business partner, teaching partner, and main support system as he drove away in his truck packed with his belongings to start a new life in Colorado. 

There is obviously backstory to that moment of his departure, a history that led to us having our last long hike and celebratory sushi meal together, a series of events that led to us saying goodbye to each other and to the form of our relationship.

One day I may write about those events. For now I am healing at deep levels of my being. I've been amazed at the magnitude of my own vulnerability, fragility, and grief. 

I've been in awe at how my community has supported and loved me through this transition. 

I've been aware that this moment in time, this transition is as precious and powerful and perfect as the moment of Raven and my weddings (we had three!), or of our teaching together over the years, or of our teamwork in running Toci. It is all part of a cycle of birth and death, of coming together and moving apart, of creation and dissolution. Life. 

I'm learning that dissolving a long-term relationship takes time and patience and great self-love. There are parts of me that are still in shock and disbelief that Raven left. There are parts of me that flip between being scared, sad, furious, overwhelmed, devastated, and wanting my friend back. And there are parts of me that are really happy for Raven as he settles into his new life, and I'm excited to see what he will create next. There are parts of me that are really happy for HeatherAsh as she settles into her new life, and I'm excited to see what she will create next. 

Sometimes the transition feels graceful and smooth and effortless, sometimes it feels like my heart has been run over repeatedly by a bus.

And through it all there have been so many gifts. I'm finding a strength inside of me that comes from being with my own process and deeply accepting myself, even when it is messy. Even when it is emotional. Even when my mind has an opinion of how the process should be going. Even when others are disappointed in me. I'm learning to give myself things that I had leaned on Raven to provide. I'm learning to let my friends and family hold me and support me when the waves of shock or fear or grief or anger wash over me. Even though I miss Raven, I love living alone, and I deeply love my life. I'm learning to get even bigger to hold all of myself in love and acceptance. 

I'm learning to let go of any stories and focus on what is arising within me to be witnessed, loved, and healed. Moment by moment, day by day. I'm wrapping myself in the immense gratitude I have for Raven and for the beginning, middle, and end of our marriage.

And that is my prayer for all of us humans: that we continue to support each other in releasing stories, opinions, judgments, and fears; not from a place of "you shouldn't have any stories" or "it is wrong to be judgmental." That is the old matrix, the one where we punish ourselves and each other for our experience. Instead, let's honor ALL aspects of ourselves and others, even the parts we don't like. Let's immerse ourselves in the healing salve and sparkly joy of gratitude. We are all so powerful, and we are also so fragile. Let's hold spaciousness for our hearts to expand past old hurts and fears, and lovingly invite change to unfold, like a new butterfly unfurling its wings for the first time. Let's embrace both the caterpillar, the cocoon, and the wet wings part of our process as much as we embrace the flight; because ALL of it is life.

Thanks for being with me on this amazing journey!

And two last shares; one of my favorite poems from Adrienne Rich; a reminder to release ourselves and others from boxes, definitions, and the past.

Delta

If you have taken this rubble for my past
raking though it for fragments you could sell
know that I long ago moved on
deeper into the heart of the matter

If you think you can grasp me, think again:
my story flows in more than one direction
a delta springing from the riverbed
with its five fingers spread

~ Adrienne Rich

And a writing that came into my inbox this morning, from a friend. 

Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could. ~ Louise Erdrich

Today, like tomorrow and all days to come, I plan to spend licking apple nectar off my fingers and moving deeper into the heart of the matter... deeper into the sweetness of unconditional love, deeper into unconditional acceptance, deeper into unconditional healing, deeper into unconditional living.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful, thank you so much for sharing your process. xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. HeatherAsh, thank you for sharing. I feel blessed to be able to witness your moving through this difficult time - the good, the bad - it's all inspirational. This is my favorite line from here: "I'm learning to give myself things that I had leaned on Raven to provide." What a fabulous thing to learn!
    And, I love the share from Adrienne Rich too!
    Sending you hugs, and healing, and love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the split as you two have been through so much. However, for what it is worth...I divorced Simon coming up on 4 years ago...just made my final (big) payment to him...trying not to be judgemental (LOL) and have been with a wonderful man now for 8 months. It all works out in the end, even when it feels like shit in the middle. Your transparency is wonderful and you will land on your feet to fly again.
    Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so brave to have loved so deeply, and to allow that love to remain in your heart while you dive into your feelings of loss and change and inertia...while you move through your personal transformation to the next stage of your becoming. I am so glad to know you right at this moment, and I look forward to the next year of journey with you in 13 Moons. *You* are just what I needed.
    <3
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be strong my firend (((wolfchild)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. HeatherAsh,facebook took me to this blog.
    My heart aches for you and my being is joyous for you. I know what it is like to lose Raven as a husband. He will always be a free spirit moving on....
    I can tell you from being away from him for years now that he is always in my heart and I love him but do not miss him nor regret any of our time together.
    I wish this for you too. It sounds like you are already on your way there. I wish a beautiful start to your new life.
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You still amaze me Heathash...even in your deep wobbly process, you amaze me. to move like the caterpillar across things seemingly bigger than you in search of food of balance Of self...you fuel your inner drive and you rest in the branches the leaves and on shoulders of others while you build your strength your foundation anew. I love you beautiful sister... Gat'e Gat'e

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending loving embraces.

    And with a great voice he said: When love beckons to you follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him, Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden. For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth. Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself. He threshes you to make you naked. He sifts you to free you from your husks. He grinds you to whiteness. He kneads you until you are pliant; And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast. All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart. But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure, Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor, Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears. Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself. Love possesses not nor would it be possessed; For love is sufficient unto love. When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, I am in the heart of God." And think not you can direct the course of love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course. Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself. But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires: To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To know the pain of too much tenderness. To be wounded by your own understanding of love; And to bleed willingly and joyfully. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving; To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy; To return home at eventide with gratitude; And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.
    - The Prophet:Love, Kahlil Gibran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heatherash, once again it was a joy to finally meet you. I feel ya in this healing process.. sometimes i feel like life is so joyful, then it eats me up and then im morphing into something new all again. It always helps to remember that it all has a higher meaning and there must be more goodness coming to you.. and that somtimes we out grow somthing so that something new comes in. Thank you for sharing your feelings and words here with us and i know that as you heal we all heal together. I am so thankful for you being in my life even if id it cyber friendship.. lol.. know that i am here for you and sending you love as we all evolve into our best selves every day.. love and light to you magical being of transformation.. may we meet again soon!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing this. I identify with this very well. Know that I'll be holding "the high watch" for both you dear ones. Namaste---chris

      Delete
  9. Watching you move through this process, this grief, shock, transformation has endeared you to me even more than before. What I have witnessed and shared in somewhat, is you demonstrating what you have been teaching others through your books, apprenticeships, workshops & classes. You are, what is sometimes called, walking your talk. I have also witnessed you carry yourself with professionalism and grace at times when ego would have probably been more comfortable lashing out or defending itself. You are an amazing woman, Ms HeatherAsh & I am sooooo blessed to know you & have the opportunity to learn first hand your incredible teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once time starts to fade the pain we'll be looking forward to seeing what kind of amazing outcome this leads to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather, I needed to "hear" your words today. Apparently the Universe knew I needed to find them and hear them within my own heart. I needed to find that self love, patience and allow myself time to grieve as the onion layers of my old life pealed away....Thank you for your post and the strength and light you have allowed me to find. (Although it was there all along, I forgot...until now)
    Love and light be with you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written and heart-opening to witness you share your vulnerability without allowing yourself to plunge into a sense of being victimized. This is also new paradigm, and I believe you walk as a shiny example of what such new paradigm looks, acts and sounds like. To also embrace and accept the pain even as it washes over you and stand there open and curious, as you ask what it has to teach... what it has to give...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you HeatherAsh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Heather ... probably a person you did not expect to hear from. I know from brief experience how deeply you loved Raven, and how very deeply he loved you, so this turn-of-events is very unexpected. What can I say ... not very much. We love, we learn, we move on. I may not ever meet you again but I wish you (and Raven BTW) all the best ... if you ever team up with Gini perhaps our paths will cross again ... love, much love Marco

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear HeatherAsh,
    A friend directed me to toci.org today and I am so happy I found you. I've been wallowing in some self-criticism, fear, and insecurity after leaving my 20 year marriage in October. Your words inspire me to reach toward peace, freedom, compassion and courage while also allowing myself to grieve and experience this deep and profound vulnerability. Thank you for being so open and generous in sharing your experience. Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Followers